Effective and Current Teacher Leadership Skills
Today’s educators find themselves in an environment of rapid change, being asked to do more with less, using data to make decisions, and incorporate new standards into practice. The online Master of Education in Teacher Leadership (MEDTL) from the University of Delaware is designed for teachers who would like to assume additional leadership roles within their schools and districts such as department chair, curriculum coordinator, teacher mentor, instructional coach, and community liaison.
Celebrate Teachers Week with a Waived Application Fee!
Applies to Completed Applications Submitted May 1 - May 31
For enrollment in the Summer or Fall 2017 Terms
This flexible, convenient online program enables you to develop the tools, techniques, and hands-on skills to understand and implement emerging policies that impact students in K-12 classrooms, private schools, preschools, higher education, and home schooling.
"The confidence in myself and in the knowledge I have gained through these courses have allowed me to take on two new roles. The first role is the lead teacher on the special education committee. The second role I have been given by the administration is grade level facilitator."
— Chelsey Merkel, MEDTL Graduate
Impact Your Students, Your Colleagues,
and Your Career
The online Master of Education in Teacher Leadership program will help enhance your professional growth as well as the growth of your students, colleagues, and professional community. You will develop the insights needed to better manage your classroom, improve student outcomes, and take the initiative to lead your peers to do the same.
UD’s online master’s program in teacher leadership is centered on the concept of leading from the classroom. It is taught by our full-time faculty of researchers and educators, who provide both skill building and practical solutions for immediate application both within and outside the classroom. With the growing trend in school systems toward teacher-leadership roles, this degree prepares you to take on greater responsibility and share your understanding of new standards and best practices.
In this 30-credit Teacher Leadership program you will:
- Analyze data to identify students’ learning needs and implement appropriate intervention methods
- Better understand state, content-area, and core standards to develop effective standards-aligned instruction
- Promote equity and address diversity issues impacting the school community
- Integrate technology that fosters collaboration
- Provide mentoring, coaching, and professional development to your peers
- Affect institutional change from the classroom
"This program was very effective and gave me liberty to pace my education in my own stride."
— Arielle Johnson, MEDTL Graduate
Teacher Leadership Curriculum
Current teachers can apply for the University of Delaware’s online master of education in teacher leadership, a 30-credit program designed to be completed in 24 months. We offer five open enrollment periods throughout the year. Each online course is seven weeks long, with scheduled breaks that coincide with your school year.
- The Role of Literacy Across the Content Areas
- Data-Based Decision Making & Assessment
- Understanding Teacher Leadership
- Action Research
- Foundational Skills in a Standards Based Curriculum
- Fostering Technology Based Collaboration
- Teacher Leadership in Education Policy
- Designing Professional Development
- Coaching Teachers
- Promoting Equitable Schools
“Our first class – Understanding Teacher Leadership – inspired me to start a professional learning community with colleagues in my math department.”
— Megan Wagaman, MEDTL Graduate