Become a Leader in Exciting Strategic Communications Careers
100% Online Format
Accelerated 7-week Courses
Get More Information
We’re here to answer your questions about admissions, financial aid, transfer credits and more. Fill out the form below to get in touch with a helpful admissions counselor.
Develop Strategic Communication Practices for the 21st Century
With a Master of Arts in Strategic Communication from UD, you’ll enhance your ability to develop persuasive messages using theories of communication, digital content creation skills and industry-specific techniques utilized in today’s emerging media.
Graduate ready to enter and advance in several leading-edge communication careers. We offer two specialization options in Public Relations or Social Media, or the ability to customize your electives to match your career goals.
For an insider’s look in communications and marketing, register for our Inside the Industry speaker series.
Pursue Growing Communication Careers with Confidence
Whether you’re early in your career or an experienced professional, UD’s program equips you with the skills you need for advancement in expanding opportunities.
- Media and communication occupations will add about 46,200 new jobs in the U.S. through 2029.1
- Demand for media and communication occupations is driven by the rising need to create, edit and disseminate innovative messages through a variety of different platforms.1
Choose from Two Specializations or Build Your Own
Adaptable to Your Unique Path
Accelerated 7-week Courses
Study with Expert Faculty
You can complete the online Master of Arts in Strategic Communication in as few as 2 – 3 years with full-time study, or finish part-time as your schedule allows.
The program couples core communication courses with a set of five flexible courses, which allows you to customize your degree from your own combination of electives or one of two specializations. Choose from topics including:
- Crisis Communication
- Public Relations Writing
- Reputation Management
- Social Media and Communication
UD’s Streamlined Application Process
Fully Online Application
GRE Not Required
Our graduate application system is designed to put you in control of the application and all documents associated with it. For the application, you’ll need:
|A completed online application|
|A bachelor’s degree in any academic background from a regionally accredited institution|
|A GPA of at least 3.0. (If your GPA is below 3.0, you should still apply, as we take your strengths and skills in other areas into account.)|
We’re Committed to Affordability
$850 Per Credit Hour
We work hard to keep our tuition affordable while maintaining the highest academic standards.
In addition to a variety of scholarships, you could fund your program by receiving a grant, qualifying for federal or private loans, utilizing military benefits or pursuing employer tuition reimbursement. Our dedicated admissions and financial personnel will help you through the process, including enrolling in a payment plan if applicable.Learn More
What You’ll Learn
In the online Master of Arts in Strategic Communication from UD, you’ll study the principles, theories, research practices and ethics of strategic communication. Then, you can specialize your skill set for the communication career you’re aiming for.
After completing the program, students will be able to:
- Develop a deeper understanding of strategic communication and acquire the skill set necessary to apply what they learn in the professional world.
- Design and implement research for their organizations.
- Design, implement and evaluate communication campaigns.
- Deliver recommendations for the future of projects and issues they may face in their careers.
- Write for multimedia with a professional audience in mind.
- Analyze and evaluate competitors’ strategic communication efforts.
Tara L. Smith, M.S., APR
Director, M.A. in Strategic Communication Program
Tara L. Smith, M.S., APR, is the director of the M.A. in Strategic Communication program and a full-time instructor for the University of Delaware’s Department of Communication. She teaches and advises public relations undergraduates and strategic communication graduate students. Tara is also founder of Tara Lynn Communications, an independent public relations consultancy.
Before joining University of Delaware, Tara lived in New York City, and worked in public relations and corporate communication roles at the headquarters of NBCUniversal News Group, Time Warner Inc., and Ketchum Public Relations.
- M.S. in public relations and corporate communication from New York University
- B.A. in public relations from The Pennsylvania State University
- Accreditation in public relations (APR)
Throughout her career, Tara has gained recognition from notable industry awards, including the CLIOs, SABREs, and the coveted PRSA Silver Anvil Award.
- Smith, T. (2021, September). Pursuing an Advanced Degree While Working Full Time. Strategies & Tactics, 4(8), 13. Retrieved from https://www.prsa.org/issue/the-path-to-career-success-september-2021
- Smith, T. (2021, May 3). “You’re on Mute!” – Not Anymore: Finding Comfort in Your Voice Even When it Makes Others Uncomfortable [Blog post]. Retrieved from https://www.blog-mtdecoagency.com/mt-deco-blog/youre-on-mute-not-anymore-finding-comfort-in-your-voice-even-when-it-makes-others-uncomfortable
- Silk, K. J., Smith, T. L., Salmon, C. T., Thomas, B. D. H., & Poorisat, T. (in press). Public health communication campaigns. In T. L. Thompson & N. Harrington (Eds.), Handbook of Health Communication (pp. 335-352). Routledge.
About Our Expert Faculty
In this program, you’ll learn from faculty with extensive education and industry experience. They are available to you for one-on-one support as you work through your communication courses and aim for ideal career opportunities.
What it’s Like to Study Online
We pride ourselves on teaching and innovation, so you’ll encounter an advanced digital curriculum delivered by experts. Knowledgeable staff members are available to answer questions by phone, chat and email, and you can access technical support 24/7.UD Online Student Experience
Answers to Common Questions
We’ve provided answers to the most commonly asked questions about UD’s online programs. If we missed anything, you can get in touch with a knowledgeable admissions counselor by phone at (844) 237-1338.
You can transfer up to nine credits from any accredited college or university. Graduate credits earned at another institution (but not used in the completion of another graduate degree) will be evaluated at your written request for any course except for the capstone. Contact an admissions counselor at (844) 237-1338 for more information about transferring your prior credits.
You may start this program in the fall, summer or spring semesters. Applications are accepted at any time up until a week before classes begin. Applicants are considered for admission on a rolling basis, which makes now the perfect time to apply.
Yes, you can complete the online program with your choice of a Public Relations specialization or a Digital and Social Media specialization. A third completion option is your choice of electives that best suit your career goals.